- The Ph.D. Program in Economics is a full-time, program designed for students who intend to pursue teaching economics, research, and professional career.
- The objective of the program is to develop students’ capabilities in using the theoretical and empirical techniques needed to analyze real-world economic problems.
- PhD Program is aimed at producing high quality researchers and teachers.The PhD. Program is systematic, meticulous and interdisciplinary with a blend of content, pedagogy and research. The program has four phases, namely, Coursework, Qualifying Examination, Preparation of Thesis Proposal and Thesis Work & Submission of Thesis.
- The Full-time PhD Programs are of four years duration. Each academic year comprises two semesters: Semester I and Semester II, each of 6 months duration. During the First year, the students have to go through course work, along with associateship. Immediately following the coursework, the students undertake a Summer Research Project.Towards the end of first year, the students have to appear for the PhD Qualifying Examination.After successful completion of the PhD qualifying examination, a Doctoral Advisory Committee (DAC) is formed and students have to develop their theses proposals and demonstrate their progress by giving research seminars (at least one per semester). By the beginning of Third year, students are required to defend their theses proposals. In the Fourth year, students have to complete the PhD thesis work and submit for evaluation.
The PhD. Program is rigorous and interdisciplinary. It is regularly updated, benchmarking the academic delivery against the best standards. The program has four phases, namely, Coursework, Qualifying Examination, Preparation of Thesis Proposal and Thesis Work & Submission of Thesis.
Candidates with Post Graduate degree in Economics and allied disciplines such as Econometrics and Applied Economics (with minimum 55% marks) from any recognized University.
* M.Phil/UGC - NET - JRF are additional Qualifications
The objective of the coursework is to impart scholarship and to equip the student with the latest developments in the discipline, including the tools of research.
In the first year the student takes 8 courses of 4 credits each spread across two semesters. They consist of Seminar Courses, Inter disciplinary Courses, and Research Methods. Each course is allotted 33 classroom sessions of 1hour 15 minutes each. The number of hours of work to be put in by the student for a particular course depends upon the number of credits allotted for that course. A credit is a convenient unit which denotes the estimated time required to be put in by a student for the course during the week, including classroom sessions.
Students should maintain a minimum GPA of 7.5/10.0 in each semester. However, if the GPA falls below 7.5/10; the performance of student will be reviewed and he/she may be given an opportunity to improve the performance, completely under the discretion of the management. The student is expected to secure a grade ‘C’ and above in all the courses, failing which he/she will be required to repeat the course and improve the grade.
However, in case of consistent low grades, students may be allowed to continue in the Program without stipend and will be given one chance to show an improvement in their performance in order to continue in the Program.
|Economics||Basic Econimics (Research Methodology) Topics in Microeconomics, Topics in Macroeconomics, Seminar on Economic Growth & Development, Theory of Finance, Topics in Public Policy, Seminar on International Economics, Advanced Econometrics (Research Methodology).|
Summer Research Project (SRP)
Students will do a research project in their area of interest under the guidance of a mentor and will present a research seminar before he/she takes the Ph.D. qualifying exam. The objective of the Summer Research Project is to ensure that the student is exposed to research writing leading to a future publication. This project is evaluated and graded as Satisfactory/ Unsatisfactory
Ph.D Qualifying Examination
Students, who successfully complete the coursework with a minimum CGPA of 7.5 along with a satisfactory grade in the summer research project, are eligible to appear for the PhD qualifying examination based on the completed coursework. The examination will be conducted in the area of specialization and the research methods. The qualifying examination will test the students’ knowledge in the coursework and their ability to apply the same in research. It will consist of written papers followed by a viva voce.
Preparation of Thesis Proposal
Upon successful completion of the Qualifying Examination, the student should work for preparation of the Thesis proposal and defend the proposal at a seminar, prior to its submission, before the faculty members and fellow PhD students in the presence of the Doctoral Advisory Committee. The student is expected to complete and submit the Research Proposal for PhD Thesis within two semesters of passing the Qualifying examination. Students are also expected to present at least one seminar per semester in their respective departments demonstrating their progress.
Thesis Preparation & Submission
By beginning of third year, students are supposed to defend their theses proposals and in the fourth year, students have to complete the PhD thesis work and submit for evaluation.
Associateship is one of the important components of the PhD curriculum in developing professional competencies among the students. During the program, the students will be associated with faculty members who will act as Mentors to the students and provide them continuous guidance. The nature of associateship is normally in the areas of teaching, research, case development and institutional development with an objective that each student is thoroughly exposed to the nuances of these areas.
Fellowship/Stipend for Full-time PhD Program
All students admitted into the Full-time PhD program will be
given a fellowship of Rs. 25,000 (Rupees Twenty Five Thousand
only) per month and free on-campus accommodation in the
After passing the PhD qualifying examination, the students will be paid a fellowship of Rs. 35,000 (Rupees Thirty Five Thousand only) per month till the student defends the thesis proposal.
Stipend of Rs. 40,000 (Rupees forty Thousand only) per month will be paid to the student, after successful defense of their thesis proposal and up to the completion of four years of PhD Program. Stipend would be paid for only 48 months (4 years) from the date of commencement of the Program or till completion of PhD Program, whichever is earlier. In lieu of this fellowship, the students may be required to provide support for teaching / research / administrative activities of the University for up to 10 hours a week
A professional development grant of Rs. 20,000 per annum is also given to the students for the four years, for attending conferences, workshops and seminars. On successful defense of the PhD thesis by the students, they can pursue their career in any organization of their choice. However, such candidates may also opt to apply to IFHE or any of its sponsor/ constituent/affiliate/ associate organizations and their request may be considered for a position of faculty at a suitable pay package, under a separate offer of appointment based on their educational background, performance in the PhD Program and availability of vacancies.
In the event, the student withdraws from the program, the student is liable to refund the stipend and the program fee provided as financial assistance by ICFAI School of Social Sciences. To this end, the student is required to execute a financial assistance agreement along with a guarantor for the financial assistance provided by IBS and submit the same on the day of registration.
Selection Process for the PhD programs is conducted online for the candidates shortlisted based on (IBSAT2022/Entrance test conducted by ICFAI School of Social Sciences). The admission decision is based on the overall performance of the candidate. A composite score is computed for each candidate based on his/her past academic record and performance in the Aptitude Test in Research Methods, Micro Presentation, Technical cum Personal Interview.
Selection Process Schedule
Selection Process Schedule (Activity and Timings) will be Communicated through email
Registration for the Selection Process
All the candidates are required to register for the Selection Process 2 days prior to the date of interview confirmed by you.
Submission of Documents
Candidates are required to upload the following documents.
- Application form(duly filled in with photo affixed)
- Self attested photocopies of marks sheets of Graduation and Post Graduation.
Candidates will not be permitted to attend the selection process if they do not upload the above documents.
Candidates should give a complete and true picture of themselves as the details provided are carefully reviewed and the admission decision is made only after assessing all the information provided.
The Online Selection Process comprises of an Aptitude Test
in Research Methods, Micro-presentation and an Interview.The
aptitude test in Research Methods is to assess the candidates
fundamental understanding in statistics.The judging panel for the
micro-presentation will assess the candidate’s communication
and presentation skills.The candidates are expected to prepare
a power point presentation on a topic of their interest from
their area of specialization and the duration should be limited to
15 minutes.The interview panel will attempt to understand the
candidate’s profile and the commitment to opt for an academic
career.The purpose is also to assess the intellectual abilities and
the research aptitude and will focus on in-depth knowledge of
the domain area that the candidate wishes to specialize in.
The results of the Selection Process will be declared in the1st week of June, 2023.
- Graduation with 50% and above marks and
- Post Graduate in Economics or allied discipline with 55% and above marks.
- Minimum 17 years of education (10 + 2 + 3 + 2 or 10 +2 + 4 + 2). For the purpose of determining eligibility based on the percentage of marks, the procedure used by the respective University in award of the degree will only be taken into consideration.
Candidates not meeting the eligibility criteria of English medium
in graduation and/ or post graduation have to submit theTOEFL/
NELT/ IELTS score by June 15, 2023.
Eligibility criteria will be checked from August, 2023 onwards. Hence, the onus of ensuring that they satisfy the eligibility criteria rests solely with the candidates.
Registration and commencement of classes
Program will commence from June 15, 2023.
The selected candidates are mandatorily required to report at the campus on June 14, 2023 and complete the registration formalities.
For any clarification on program, eligibility and admission, the candidates may contact Dr. T. Koti Reddy on the email ID firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to any other address may not elicit any response.
How to apply
- Application form can be downloaded from the website (https://www.ifheindia.org/IBS-Hyderabad/phd-economics.html) and filled in form along with the application fee of Rs.1800 (non-refundable) by Demand Draft in favour of "ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education- phdecon fee A/c" payable at Hyderabad).
- Applicants can also avail of online payment facility: The ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education Fee collection Account, A/c No.7311285584, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Somajiguda, IFSC Code : KKBK0000552.
- The completed application form must be sent by registered post to The Dean, ICFAI School of Economics, IFHE, Dontanapalli, Shankarpalli Road, Hyderabad-501 203.
The selected candidates have to pay an Admission fee of Rs.40,000, on or before June 14, 2023. The Program fee is Rs. 60,000 per Semester. The Program fee is provided as financial assistance by ICFAI School of Social Sciences and is waived off, subject to meeting minimum academic requirements as specified by ICFAI School of Social Sciences.
For any clarification on program, eligibility, admission, the candidates may reach us on the Email-id: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org