Center of Excellence for Corporate and Commercial Law
The Centre of Excellence for Corporate Law (Centre) is established on 2nd January 2019 with an objective to provide comprehensive and holistic knowledge (theoretical and practical) of laws governing core courses of corporate and commercial areas such as Company Law, Law of Securities and Investment, Corporate Governance and Business Ethics, Mergers and Acquisitions, Banking and Insurance Law, Law and Economics, Law of Carriage, Transportation and Insurance, etc.
The center has organized following events:
- The center hosted the Round Table Conference (South) for members of Society of Insolvency Practitioners of India (SIPI) and other insolvency professionals on 19th January 2019. The ICFAI Law School Hyderabad was incorporated as permanent invitee of the SIPI.
- Prof. A V Narsimha Rao, Director of the ICFAI Law School, Hyderabad attended a Round Table Conference organized by Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) in New Delhi.
- Law School Faculty attended SIPI Round Table Conference held on 1st February in Mumbai.
- The Centre organised a 3 day international conference on ‘Insurance Law and Regulations: Global Practices’ in collaboration with the University of New Castle University, Australia, and IRDAI, Metlife, etc. from 1st to 3rd February, 2019. The eminent members graced the occasion are: Dr. Subhash C Khuntia, IAS Chairperson of IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India), Prof. Neil Foster and Mr. John Woodword, Solicitor of Supreme Court of NSW and High Court of Australia, Mr. V Jayant Kumar, CGM, Life Insurance (IRDAI), Hyderaba, Smt. Yegnapriya, CGM Non-life insurance (IRDAI), Mr. Neil Bahardur Pakhren, Advocate from Nepal Re-insurance Company, Pankaj K Tiwari, DGM (IRDAI), Mr. Dinakar, PNB Met-life, Ms Asha Murali, Executive Vice-president of ICICI Prudential.
- It organized a 3 day international conference on “Insolvency and Bankruptcy Law: Global Response” in association with Delaware Law School, Widener University, Wilmington, USA and IBBI, New Delhi from 1st to 3rd March 2019. This proceedings is divided into six sessions – Insolvency Law: Conceptual Contours, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Law: Emerging Jurisprudence, Cross Border Insolvencies: A Road Map, Insolvency Resolution and Regulatory Mechanism, Insolvency Professionals: A Way Forward, Liquidation of Going Concern Companies: Future Perspectives and five panel discussions – Insolvency Law: Economic and Social Perspectives, Cross Border Insolvencies: Challenges, Corporate Insolvencies: Adjudication Mechanism, Institutional Insolvency: Stakeholders Concern, Information Utilities and Valuation Professionals. The eminent invitees: Shri Injeti Srinivas, Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Govt of India, Dr. M S Sahoo, Chairperson, IBBI and Justice Nooti Rammohan Rao, Former Judge, High Court of Tamil Nadu. The experts in the respective field participated are: Mr. Sreekara Rao, CGM, IBBI, Dr. SK Gupta, CEO, IPA, Mr. Sumanth Batra, President SIPI, India, Dr. KV Ravichandran, Co-convenor SIPI, South India, Mr. Harishchander, National Convenor of SIPI India. Ms Radhika Merwin, Deputy Editor, Hindu Business line, and Prof. Charles Scott Pyror, Noman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, US, Mr. Shivadass Gopala Krishnan, Senior advocate, VVSN Raju, Managing Partner, Juris Prime Law Services, Mr. V Satya Venkat Rao, ED, IFCI New Delhi, Dr. G Narayan Raju, Secretary, Ministry of Law and Justice, Govt. of India, Dr.Mamata Suri, Executive Director, IBBI, Mr. Ramakrishna Prasad, Advocate, Supreme court of India, Mr. Avil Menezes, IP, MR. TSN Raja, GM (retired) SFC, IP, Mr. Siva S Ramann, MD and CEO of National e-Governance Services Limited.
- The Centre had negotiations with SIPI and Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA) for collaborations and networking.
- Prof. A V Narsimha Rao attended Insolvency Research Foundation (IRF) launching held at the Vallabhai Patel Conference Hall situated in the Vice President residence on 2nd August 2019.
- Negotiations and collaborative work is under progress for launching ‘ICFAI –IRF Chair’ at the ICFAI Law School, Hyderabad and expecting projects worth of Rs.70 lakhs.
- Organized One-Day Symposium on “Commercial Courts: Formative Propositions” on 14-09-2019. This Symposium is divided into three Technical Sessions – Commercial Courts: Nascent Proposition, Commercial Courts and Impact Assessment and Commercial Courts: A Way Forward.
- Applied for membership of Asian Institute of Law (ASIL), Singapore in the month of August 2019 for future collaboration.
- Negotiating with IBBI for Providing training to the Insolvency Professionals (IP) and Insolvency Resolution professionals (IRP) on Mediation and Negotiation techniques.
- Expecting to introduce Graduating Insolvency Program which is equivalent to MBA from next academic year 2020-21 and the process of finalization of MoU in progress.
- Organized IBBI Essay Competition, at ICFAI Law School, September 28, 2018. Two students achieved the cash prize of Rs.15000 and Rs.10000/-.