- The Ph.D. Program in Economics is a full-time, program designed for students who intend to pursue teaching economics, research, and professional career.
- The objective of the program is to develop students’ capabilities in using the theoretical and empirical techniques needed to analyze real-world economic problems.
The Ph.D. Program is rigorous and interdisciplinary. It is regularly updated, benchmarking the academic delivery against the best standards. The program has four phases, namely, Coursework, Ph.D Qualifying Examination, Preparation of Thesis Proposal and Thesis Work & Submission of Thesis. The performance of the students in each stage is assessed by means of continuous evaluation.
The first year is devoted to course work which includes micro and macro economics, econometrics, development economics and policy, international trade and theory of finance. At the end of course work, students are expected to undertake a summer research project for about 3months.
Ph.D Qualifying Examination
At the end of the first year the students appear for the Ph.D. qualifying examination. It consists of written examination followed by viva-voce. The examination tests the students’ knowledge in the prescribed areas and their ability to apply the same in research.
Thesis Preparation & Submission
On completion of the qualifying examination, the student prepares for the Ph.D. thesis proposal under the guidance of a Doctoral Advisory Committee. Subsequently the student will defend the thesis proposal before a screening committee and proceed towards completion of the thesis by the end of the fourth year.
All students admitted into the Full-time PhD program will be given a fellowship of Rs. 25,000/- (Rupees Twenty Five Thousand only) per month and free on-campus accommodation in the first year.
After passing the Ph.D qualifying examination, the students will be paid a fellowship of Rs. 35,000/- (Rupees Thirty Five Thousand only) per month till the student defends the thesis proposal. Stipend of Rs. 40,000 (Rupees forty Thousand only) per month will be paid to the student, after successful defense of their thesis proposal and up to the completion of four years of Ph.D Program.
Stipend would be paid for only 48 months (4 years) from the date of commencement of the Program or till completion of Ph.D Program, whichever is earlier. In lieu of this fellowship, the students may be required to provide support for teaching / research / administrative activities of the University for up to 10 hours a week.
A professional development grant of Rs. 20,000 per annum is also given to the students for the four years, for attending conferences, workshops and seminars. On successful defense of the Ph.D thesis by the students, they can pursue their career in any organization of their choice. However, such candidates may also opt to apply to IFHE or any of its sponsor/ constituent/affiliate/associate organizations and their request may be considered for a position of faculty at a suitable pay package, under a separate offer of appointment based on their educational background, performance in the Ph.D Program and availability of vacancies.
- Graduation with 50% and above marks and a Post Graduation in Economics or an allied discipline with 55% and above marks from an UGC approved university.
- All applicants should have completed a minimum of 17 years of regular education (on 10+2+3+2 or 10+2+4+2 basis).
- Applicants who have completed their graduation/Post graduation on one time sitting basis or on part time, distance mode or online mode are not eligible for Ph.D program of IBS Hyderabad.
- Candidates not meeting the eligibility criteria of English medium in graduation and / or post graduation have to submit the TOEFL/ NELT/ IELTS score by May 31, 2017.
- Eligibility criteria will be checked from August, 2017 onwards. Hence, the onus of ensuring that they satisfy the eligibility criteria rests solely with the candidates.
How to apply
- Application form can be downloaded from the website (http://www.ibshyderabad.org/IBS PhD Application 2017.pdf) and filled in form along with the application fee of Rs.1800 (non-refundable) by Demand Draft in favour of "ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education- phdecon fee A/c" payable at Hyderabad).
- Applicants can also avail of online payment facility: The ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education Fee collection Account, A/c No.7311285584, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Somajiguda, IFSC Code : KKBK0000552.
- The completed application form must be sent by registered post to The Head, Department of Economics, IBS Hyderabad, Dontanapalli, Shankarpalli Road, Hyderabad-501 203.
The candidates seeking admission to Ph.D program in Economics have to appear for an entrance test and an interview.
Full time Ph.D students have to pay Rs. 40000 towards admission fee (non-refundable). The fee for the 4 year Ph.D program is Rs 1.20 lakhs per annum. However, the semester fee of Rs. 60000 per semester for 8 semesters is waived off subject to meeting specific academic requirements.
For any clarification on program, eligibility, admission, the candidates may reach us on the Email-id: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com